In February 2018, I completed my first round of Whole30 and finished reading the book It Starts with Food. All of a sudden, I started questioning everything I put into (or on) my body. Some questions I had were:
- Why is sugar in so many things?
- What is this random ingredient I can’t even pronounce…and why is it in our food?
- Is this even safe for me?
I was on a mission to clean up our food consumption and I did a pretty great job. I felt in control! Then a few months later, we brought Nash home and it opened the floodgates of the pet food world. All that control I thought I had vanished. The questions only got more challenging to answer and I felt so mislead. I didn’t feel like I could trust anyone but myself and my own knowledge. So when I started looking at dog food/treat labels, I thought:
- Why is there sugar, maple syrup, molasses, etc. in this treat? Nash doesn’t need to be consuming sugar!
- Why can’t I find a dog food with ingredients I know and understand?
- Why do I feel like the pet industry is the hardest thing to wrap my head around? It shouldn’t be this confusing.
- How can I give Nash high-quality food/treats without cooking them myself (if you do cook for your pet, you’re my hero!)?
When we brought Nash home, I was blown away at what I was seeing on labels. “Surely, there’s a company out there that understands me,” I thought. It quickly became my mission to find food and treats I trusted to feed to our brand new pup. And let me tell you, the process was not easy.
As cliche as it sounds, when I found Besties Treats, I finally felt like I could breathe easy. Since learning about their brand this summer, I’ve quickly developed a strong relationship with their team and knew I wanted to share them with the DailyBarker community. Because after all, friends don’t keep good things to themselves. You can thank me later. 😉
To give you a quick rundown, Besties Treats are:
- SIMPLE and CLEAN, only 1-2 ingredients (great for pups with food sensitivities to wacky ingredients)
- Fully cooked and freeze dried (they stay fresh without using preservatives)
- Non-GMO and free of gross hormones, antibiotics, and MSG
- Human-grade quality (aka you can eat them too!)
- Comes in 3 flavors: Chicken, Beef, and Cheddar Cheese
Fun Fact: The beef that Besties uses is rib meat and the chicken is chicken breast! Basically, it’s the GOOD part of the animal, not the scraps like some companies are putting in their products.
Now, I’m no chemist, but to give you some quick facts on freeze drying:
- Freeze drying removes about 98% of water from the food
- When a product is freeze dried, a vacuum sucks out the oxygen from the product while simultaneously drying the food using low temperatures
- Freeze drying gives the food a longer shelf life without using preservatives, and also maintains the food’s original nutritional value, flavor, and shape (pretty cool!)
How does freeze drying maintain nutrients?
Besties Treats are fully cooked before the freeze drying process begins. Freeze drying itself is not a “cooking” process, it only dries the food by using low temperatures. The nutritional value stay the exact same too, just like it was when it was put in the freeze dryer in the first place. And because freeze drying preserves the food, it doesn’t naturally decay. Again, pretty cool, huh!
Why is freeze drying the best option?
Easy – long shelf life and cleanliness! If a dog treat isn’t freeze dried, it must either be artificially preserved or will have a short shelf life. Treats that have not been freeze dried will have nutrient depletion as they decay. Besties gives pet parents a clean treat that stays fresh and maintains the nutritional profile over an extended period of time! After all, even cooked meat will go bad!
To Wrap Up
These treats are easy to digest, easy to travel with, and delicious. Nash LOVES them. And I’d be lying if I said I didn’t love them too. Don’t judge me, they are human-grade, haha! If you’ve been looking for a new treat and one that you know you can trust, give Besties a try. I know you will love them as much as we do!
Want a discount? Sure ya do! Head to their website and enter DB25 for 25% off and FREE shipping on your first order!
What are some of your pup’s favorite treats? Tell me below!
Featured Image brought to you by @GoldenWoofs!