This Summer has already proven to be one of the hottest yet, and it’s just begun! One of the biggest adjustments I’ve had to make so far is trading our afternoon walk for an early morning one instead. Even before the sun comes out, it has been in the eighties already. The first thing Charlie does when we come in from a walk is go straight to an air vent and pant for a few minutes. He is so exhausted that he won’t even drink his water for a few minutes! I came up with a DIY treat that is not only healthy for pups, but can help cool them down after a long walk outside.
- 1 1/2 cups of Raw goat’s milk (I use Primal Pet Food brand, but my local dog store also sells Answers Pet Food brand and a couple of varieties of freeze-dried raw goats milk as well)
- 1/2 cup of Peanut butter (make sure there is no Xylitol. I usually use one that only consists of roasted peanuts (Trader Joe’s brand), but I used Skippy this time).
- 1/2 cup of Plain Greek yogurt
- Optional: One of your dog’s favorite treats (I used some from Bocce’s Bakery)
- Ice cube tray (a silicone mold will work best, but I was still easily able to get the treats out of a standard plastic tray)
- Electric hand mixer
- Mixing bowl
Combine all ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat with your mixer until the consistency is smooth.
Pour the mixture into your ice cube tray, but only fill about three-quarters of the way up.
Add your dog’s favorite treat!
Freeze the treats for at least 4 hours, but overnight works best.
Pop the treats out of the mold and let the pups taste test them!
The two doodles in my house give these DIY Treats an A+! Would your pups like them? Give them a try and let me know in the comments!
Stephanie is the proud “pawrent” of her fur baby, Charlie aka @Charliegoldthedoodle. Charlie and Stephanie enjoy adventures all around Atlanta, whether it’s by land or by water. She loves taking Charlie on special visits as he is a certified therapy dog. Charlie has inspired Stephanie to take up photography, which comes in handy as she loves documenting all their adventures to new places.